Climate targets

When the Haga Initiative was established at the end of 2010, the member companies agreed on a common climate goal to reduce emissions by at least 40 percent by 2020. The new goal for 2030 is to acheive net zero or halving emissions, compared to 2020.

The Haga Initiative's goals for 2030

In the spring of 2017, the Haga Initiative decided on new targets for 2030. The Environmental Targets Committee had then come up with a proposal to the government that emissions in Sweden should be net-zero by 2045, i.e. 85 percent reduction in Sweden and the remaining 15 percent can be done with emission reductions abroad. We then chose to have our goals in line with the government's goals but with a more ambitious timetable. We want to reduce our emissions to net zero by 2030, i.e. at least an 85 percent reduction.

 

Read our scope 3 report here

Background

The Haga Initiative’s goal of zero net emissions by 2030 requires both a more ambitious climate policy from the Swedish government aligned with the European Union´s climate policy, and a more rigid framework for the emission trading system (EU-ETS). Sweden can be leading in the global transition to a fossil-free society only if the basic industry remains within the country. Therefore, measures to reduce emissions from the domestic industry are required. Sweden can show the rest of the world that the transition is possible through energy efficiency, conversion to renewable energy sources and green technology development.

The Haga Initiative's climate target compared to the Swedish climate target

Sweden's target covers emissions within the country's geographical area. The Haga Initiative's goals include own emissions. The goal also includes that purchased energy must be fossil-free and emissions in scope 3 must be mapped.

Exeption from net zero in scope 1

If emission reductions in scope 1 worsen the conditions for reducing emissions in scope 3, the goal can be achieved by reducing emissions in scope 3 instead. The emission reductions must be at least as 85 percent of the scope 1 emissions.

Background

The Haga Initiative was initiated in late 2010. The network consists of thirteen companies; Axfood, Coca-Cola Europacific Partners Sweden, Folksam, HKScan Sweden, JM, Lantmännen, Löfbergs, McDonald’s, Preem, Stena Recycling, Stockholm Exergi, Sveaskog and Swedbank. 

0
Companies
0
Bn SEK revenue
0
Employees
0
1,4 Mton CO2e emissions reduction

Our strategy

The Haga Initiative strives towards a profitable business sector without climate impact.
Members of the Haga Initiative act together to create the business conditions needed to reach this goal. Members act as climate action role models within their respective business sectors.

The Haga Initiative operates in the business sector. The network cooperates with politicians and policymakers to improve the prerequisites for increased climate effort in business.

Commitment

The Haga Initiatives vision is “a profitable business sector without climate impact” .